Space KITAAAA!!!!

Space KITAAAA!!!!

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Rent-A-Movie: Nasi Lemak 2.0

I am back! Apologies for the long absence, but as usual, many things have happened during my disappearing act, one of which has contributing to my lack of posts.

I have been writing the last few blog posts using my Huawei MediaPad. As a result, I had been experiencing neck pains for the last week due to my incorrect sitting posture. Frankly speaking, if you hold your head forward in a flexed or bent position for long periods of time while looking at your tablet computer, it could result in serious neck problems. I have been hugging to my Mediapad for three weeks straight, and sitting in front of a computer during work from 9 to 5 did not help matters. Eventually, it was inevitable that it eventually became a "pain in the neck" and I have to stop using for a while. T.T

Devoid of my daily dose of entertainment, I turned to renting movies to watch at home. It turned to be a good idea, because I rented one particularly funny movie to watch.

Its title "Nasi Lemak 2.0" was the one that initally caught my attention as I scrolled through my mioTV menu for something to watch. With food used as a title for the movie, I thought this movie should be quite interesting, and I was not disappointed.

Nasi Lemak 2.0 is a low budget Malaysian film directed by Namewee and was released in September 2011. It also starred the director as the movie's protaganist Huang Da Xia, a young chef who struggles to keep his Chinese restaurant going but was a hero in the local neighbourhood as he helps the community. One day, he crosses paths with Xiao K, who asks for his help. Xiao K's father is athe owner of a big Chinese restaurant and is embroiled in a battle for ownership with her aunt. Chef Huang decides to help her out but lost the competition to see who can cook the best Chinese cuisine. Later, he receives help from a neighouring Nasi Lemak hawker stall lady, who summons him to embark on a myserious and enriching journey.

I like this movie mainly because of the style of acting as well as the creativity infused into the movie, which is unique to Malaysia itself and audiences can instantly relate to the characters and the script. I was laughing from start to end. However, this movie is not without controversy. At times, this movie seemed to nearly get into trouble with the censorship laws as it veers dangerously close to touching on sensitive issues (I shall not spoil the movie for everyone, so it's best you watch it yourselves.). However, this movie has taught everyone an important lesson. In every multiracial and multicultural society, social unity is important for the country. The movie draws similarities between racial harmony and the iconic food nasi lemak. Like the dish which is made up of as variety of side dishes along with rice, a society is made up of different communities of different cultures and races which integrate to become one big family.

So go catch this movie on DVD! Hope you will enjoy the movie as much as I do! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment